There’s nothing better than a nice bowl of fresh soup in the winter (and believe me, we get lots of winter around here), but you know what’s even better? a nice hot bowl of soup made with minimum ingredients, minimum time and maximum pleasure. And that’s exactly what I have here for you.
I came home last week, it was the day before our grocery run day, and the fridge was almost empty. I wanted soup but didn’t have too many veggies on hand so I look at my cupboard and this jar of red lentils is winking at me, saying “hey, pssst, we’re here, were quick, we’re delicious, bring it sista”. So I did. Bring it.
I made lentil soup with one of our favorite ingredients added – garlic. My daughter, who is not a fan of soups (aka “mommy, can I have a chicken nugget instead?”) had 2 whole bowls! OMG! I guess this means the soup passed the highest bar. It was so good, we finished the whole pot and wanted more.
On a different note, we are home today, going through yet another winter storm – can I get spring please? and a bowl of this delicious, healthy, creamy, hot soup? Thanks!
- 1¾ Cup Red Lentils
- 1 Onion - Diced
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Celery Stick - Diced
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2½ Cups Hot Water
- 5 Fresh Parsley Sprigs - Finely Chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 5 Garlic Cloves - Minced
- 1 tsp Paprika (If you have smoked paprika even better)
- 1-2 tsp Salt
- Place the lentils in a colander and wash under running water and set aside.
- In a medium-large pot, pour in the olive oil, diced celery and diced onion and saute over medium heat while stirring until onion is translucent.
- Add in the lentils and stir all together and then add in the vegetable broth and water and bring to boil.
- Add in the chopped parsley and bay leaf and partially cover the pot and cook over low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the lentils soften,
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Add in the tomato paste, minced garlic, paprika and salt, Stir well and cook for additional 20 minutes in a partially covered pot.
- Can be served with Creme Fresh or Sour Cream,
There’s nothing better than a nice bowl of fresh soup in the winter (and believe me, we get lots of winter around here), but you know what’s even better? a nice hot bowl of soup made with minimum ingredients, minimum time and maximum pleasure. And that’s exactly what I have here for you. I came […]Read More